Lawrence and Danielle have been on a training course by Age UK Norfolk for Dementia, and are proud to say that they and LEWKS are now 'Dementia Aware'. Age UK Norfolk are making Downham Market a Dementia Friendly Community. What does it mean by dementia friendly? A dementia friendly community is one based on inclusion, where a person living with dementia feels empowered to play an active role in their community. The emphasis is on what the person can do rather than what they can no longer do. The majority of people living with dementia want to be able to continue with day to day activities; this may include:
• going out for coffee or a meal
• doing their weekly shop
• buying presents for a loved one.
A dementia friendly community is a community where people with dementia can:
• find their way around and feel safe
• access their local facilities
• continue participating in social activities and clubs